From:
"Dawn K. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:54:44 -0600
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply on this thread.  We are very fortunate that in Austin we have an excellent WIC program where lower income moms can get superb breastfeeding help and support from IBCLCs and an extensive LLL network offering Meetings every week of the month.  I agree that in Private Practice it is important to value ones work enough to charge a fair price.  As an LC I have been doing exactly that and given the first two clients that came my way I will definitely continue to do so.  These cases were MUCH more difficult than what I've typically encountered as a Leader (as it should be).

On the other hand as a LLL Leader I willingly offered my knowledge to further the good reputation of  LLL.  I did not make home visits except on rare occasion (maybe 3 in 7 years) with the exception of pump delivery.  I did not approach those visits as LC visits.  I almost ALWAYS referred to an IBCLC in our area.  Honestly not all of them took 2 hours, but some did (one took 3!).  Were those women asking questions better answered by an IBCLC?  Usually not.  Questions typical of LLL attendees like "It's so much easier to nurse the baby at night when we sleep together, but I've read it's dangerous.  How do others feed their babies every two hours at night without losing their minds?" "My baby wants to nurse all the time (every 1 1/2 hours), my mil says it's because my milk is not rich enough and I should switch to formula.  I hate the thought of using formula but I don't want to hurt my baby, can I have my milk tested?" "My baby prefers to nurse on the left side, I'm getting really lopsided.  My girlfriend told me that was a sign of cancer and I should wean.  What kind of formula should I switch to?"  You get the idea.  I always encourage them to attend a LLL Meeting.  I leave Area Meeting Notices and LC referrals.  I carry the WAB with me and occasionally sell one.  My Group benefits financially, someone gets the help they need and feels good about their contact with LLL.  I believe all of this is good for LLL and was beneficial to me in helping me understand the average, mainstream, nursing mother (i.e. not a LLL Meeting attendee).  Will I continue in this vein now that I'm an accredited IBCLC opening a private practice?  No.  I will rent pumps for my Group, but only in my role as a private practice LC.

Although my original comment was made rather off-handedly, and meant to help the person setting up a pump rental station prepare for what lies ahead, I'm glad the discussion has ensued.  It has helped me to further clarify the boundaries I need to set in distinguishing the type of work I'll be doing.  I really appreciate the thoughtfulness, time and energy that went into everyone's replies.  It has helped me immensely.

Feeling lucky to be part of the Lactnet Community,
Dawn Martin, LLLL, RLC, IBCLC, Doula, MOM
Austin, TX