From:
Beth Iovinelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:32:55 -0400
A nurse that works at my hospital called about her daughter who delivered
on 6/30 in NYC. She gave me permission to post.
First baby, vaginal delivery. No complications.
little or no breastfeeding support at the hospital. Mom has a deep crack in
her right nipple.  Baby had mouth cultured by pedi when the possibility of
thrush was being looked at. The culture showed staph aureus.  I know this
is one of the common causes of mastitis however, Mom has no synptoms of
mastitis (according to her mother).
 In the absence of maternal symptoms. How is this handled? Is the baby
treated? Is the Mom treated to prevent mastitis?  Obviously the crack needs
to be healed and work on latch needs to be done to promote healing.  Mom is
aware of what to watch for in terms of redness, tenderness, fever, etc.
She is currently pumping the right breast to allow healing time, and
nursing from the left side.  Says it hurts to much to latch the baby.
Words of wisdom?
Thanks,

Beth M. Iovinelli, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Norwalk Hospital