From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:12:42 -0600
Sorry if I was obscure in my description of the mom making eye contact in
the ad.  The bottle-feeding mother/child pair is making direct eye-to-eye
contact with each other (not the camera).  The same mom and baby, when shown
breastfeeding, the mom is looking at the baby, but the baby is looking at
mom's chest, not her face.

> For the unfortunate few who can't breast feed, and the many who chose
>not to, should we at least teach them how the give bottles in the most
>loving, connected fashion -- an ethical dilemma?

I don't see it as a dilemma -- of course we should do all we can to mitigate
the unfortunate consequences for the innocent babes.  That's why I support
adding DHA to formula, too.  There will always be babies on formula, just as
there will always be people who smoke.  But we can *eternal optimist that I
am* see a switch in prevailing practice from mostly bottle-feeding to mostly
breastfeeding, and from bottle-feeding from afar to bottle-feeding with
love, just as we've seen a drastic decrease in smoking, and smokers being
furtive or doing it outside....

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Texas A&M University