From:
Barb Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:35:05 -0400
Hi Everyone:  I have a client (I have her permission to post) who has a 3
week old.  I helped her when the baby was about 4-5 days old with latch,
she had some sore nipples and she thought it was yeast.  Baby was using a
shallow latch, with instruction they were able to attain a deep latch.  She
called me a week later and said her nipples felt somewhat better but she
had shooting pain in her breast and was sure it was yeast.  I got her some
APNO and told her to call me in 3-4 days if it wasn't better.  She called
me tonight and said she is still really uncomfortable.  Her breasts
hurt/are uncomfortable all of the time, and her nipples hurt after feeds,
usually on the underside and toward the center (of her chest?).  I told her
I really didn't think it was yeast causing the  problems and that I wanted
to post to the wise ones to see if anyone else had any ideas.  Then while
talking some more she relates that the baby nurses 5 min off each breast,
at times pulls back and tries to shallow latch when she lets down, and at
times will vomit right after a feed, as if he ate too much.  So that got me
thinking that maybe he is pinching her nipple during feeds to keep from
drowning by a forceful MER.  What do you guys think?  I told her my theory
and I plan to show her some of the tricks I've heard here (pumping past 1st
letdown, more vertical feeding position, having her recline with baby on
top, I also told her to just feed on 1 breast at a time).  Does this sound
right to you?  She said her breasts are really tender, but denies redness
or lumps that don't go away during a feed.  I think she just has a lot of
milk in there.  Baby birth weight 9#, baby at 3 weeks is 10#.  Thanks, I
plan to see her in the AM, any suggestions before then would be greatly
appreciated.  Please e-mail me privately as well as to the list, since I'll
probably be in a hurry in the am, and I'm way behind on posts.  Thanks.
Barb in Wet Wisconsin