From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:51:00 +0200
>But that's because the health professional doesn't have the "feel" for
>breastfeeding.

This is part of the problem.  When the health professional does not have the
"feel" for breastfeeding, they need rules.  When there is lack of  common
sense and intuition based on understanding, rules become necessary.  So, as
Gonneke said, there is  "replacing of one set of rules by another".   Not to
schedule or limit feeding time? Okay, the rule becomes unlimited feeding for
hours. A baby who is attached to the breast "not" drinking?  This is far
beyond the understanding of someone who does not have a "feel" for
breastfeeding.

But it will come, eventually, as breastfeeding becomes the norm again.
>People, including health professionals, though we despair for their ever
>learning (not all health professionals, don't jump on me), will eventually
>understand (though if we keep on with the "numbers game", I will lose my
>mind before it ever happens).

Jack, where does this optimist come from?  Have you seen any change leading
towards this utopia?

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot  Israel