From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:02:00 -0500
Tom Hale addresses this in Medications and Mother's Milk, and the 2008 edition classifies it a L1. The claims of arrythmias were "derived from data many years old where domperidone was used intravenously as an antiemetic during cancer chemotherapy....Many of these patients were undergoing extensive chemotherapy, were extremely ill, and hypokalemic to begin with. In addition, intravenous domperidone produces plasma levels many times higher than oral use."

He also states, in the description of the drug, that it "blocks dopamine receptors in the GI wall and in the CRTZ(nausea center) in the brain stem". It does raise serum prolactin levels and he cites a 1980 Clinical Endocrinology study showing this.

this article is on the web: http://dpic.org/article/professional/domperidone-%E2%80%93-keeping-abreast-controversies

and this study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.04093.x/abstract - looking at the effect on  concentrations when combined with ketoconazole.

there is more - I just put: domperidone q-t interval research  in the search engine and these sites came up..

Canadian MDs can prescribe domperidone to nursing mothers (but not specifically to increase milk supply... I believe it is not okayed for that reason but that may have changed) , that's probably why you see it mentioned on Lactnet. Mothers have also ordered it from online pharmacies in the past.

When we see who owns the pharmaceuticals here, and their profits from infant breastmilk substitutes, and who makes the decisions about drugs, I begin to wonder why domperidone is considered in such a negative light in the US.. (could there be plenty of influence being exerted on the powers that be by these companies? ..likely scenario)

and that kind of thinking just may be due to years of living with a semi-conspiracy theorist:>)

Please do share anything you dig up re: grapefruit etc..

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL