From:
"Debra J. Salings" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:13:09 -0600
        I agree that wIC is at least trying to promote breastfeeding and
that you can't make someone learn about breastfeeding if they don't want
to hear it.
        However, I disagree with the fact that they are (at least in
Missouri) advocating starting cereal in exclusively breastfed infants at
4 months and starting vegetables at 5 months...this is what they are
teaching.
        I have had a lengthy discussion about this with one of the
nutritionists at our local WIC office; but again, you can't make someone
learn if they don't want to listen...the position taken is that iron
stores are depleted at 4 months and must be supplemented with cereal or
iron-fortified formula.
        We need to have a program that not only gives lip service to
promoting breastfeeding but gives the correct information as well.  I was
told that breastffeding up to one year of age is "highly unusual" and
that an infant should be 'weaned to a cup' by then.
        I was looking forward to becoming a peer breastfeeding counselor,
but I am not sure if I can hold my tongue with these attitudes!
        Maybe I just need to cool down a bit...