From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:40:43 +1000
Dayla,

Despite common beliefs to the contrary, I increased my supply substantially
during pregnancy in an emergency situation. It never occurred to me at the
time that I couldn’t do it and it was only several years later that a friend
who knew my children remarked that I would have been pregnant at the time.
I’m not sure how many weeks I was, exactly, but my baby must have been about
10 months old, if I recall, and her brother was born when she was 16 ½
months old.

What did I use – why, my willing baby! She went to the breast very
frequently all through the night, about hourly. Next day she was bright and
alert and not in the last dehydrated.

Earlier that year, I never took anything by mouth when I relactated when she
was a few weeks old – just lots of breastfeeding, followed by hand
expressing.

You didn’t mention how often your client’s baby is going to the breast and
whether this is very early in her pregnancy.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Private Practice Lactation Consultant

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]

Dayla Tetley wrote:

Does anyone know of anything that can safely increase Breast milk supply
during pregnancy.  I have a mom who is very tempted to supplement right now,
she is already pumping after each feeding.