Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:17:25 EST
k. dettwyler's comment about spotless houses reminds me that this is another
red flag i often see. when i go to a house with a mother with breastfeeding
difficulties, if she immediately apologizes for the condition of the house,
and seriously means it, i feel i know right away what part of the problem is.
a new client i visited this weekend, with three small children and a baby one
month old still on the bottle and not on the breast, just kicked a path
through the debris and said "i won't apologize for the mess, i am just trying
to concentrate on getting the breastfeeding fixed." i knew right then that she
would do it, too. and she did. i asked her if she thought she could cup feed
the baby for a few days, and she didn't bat an eye, just said, yes, if you
think it will help. got the baby nursing well by the next day, actually.

of course, my house usually proves that my attention is elsewhere, too.

carol brussel IBCLC