From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:52:37 -0500
>In the Jelliffe's wonderful booklet "The Uniqueness of Human Milk"  they
>indicated that research in the 1920's indicated that children who had been fed
>only breastmilk ffor 9 months or more scored lower on IQ tests later.

I'd read this too, and worried about it, until I saw lots and lots of
little ones who didn't eat enough solids to qualify as real food until they
were 1 to 2 years old - or even more.  When you think about it, why *would*
a diet of only breastmilk cause a decrease in IQ after 9 months or so?
What crucial ingredients are missing from breastmilk that are present in
the bananas and crackers that constitute the main solids of countless picky
toddlers and preschoolers?  Seems to me the fundamental reason for adopting
a diet of solids is that a 120 lb mother shouldn't have to sustain a 120 lb
child - and wouldn't want to, anyway - not that the milk that was 100%
complete at 6 months is somehow inadequate after 9 months.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY