From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 22:25:45 -0700
>Hi, all--
>I'm in hot water at the moment with my hospital and some local OB's.... My
>job and reputation are on the line here, along with
>the chance to change some unnecessarily aggressive newborn practices for
>the better.

Dear Lisa:  Our corporate level breastfeeding team is trying to make this
change also, to delay the erythromycin and the anthropometric measurements
until 2 hours after delivery.  At my hospital's inservice on the changes,
Dr. Lee Heery spoke specifically to this issue.  I am supposed to be
somewhere else right now, taking care of a statewide meeting, but I will
start looking for the references Monday.  Meanwhile, two thoughts:  (a) can
they prove the erythromycin is not effective if given at two hours?
Challenge them! (b) what does the American Academy of Pediatrics or other
professional bodies have to say about eye drops/ointment and timing?  I
think the AAP was who Dr. Heery was quoting, if memory serves me right.

As for a newborn's vision, I believe we have known for years that a newborn
can see at about a foot's distance--I remember the story making the front
cover of a national news magazine [Time?] in the early 80's!  Finding the
research will take footwork, and time, and [here she climbs up on her
soapbox] it is NOT RIGHT that any person who works in your hospital can
suddenly wake up and say, "Whoa!  I didn't pick up on the vision thing/the
cup feeding thing/the bonding thing/whatever--so drop what you're doing,
run out and do the work of rounding up all the references for me, and teach
me about this IMMEDIATELY or else your career is over."

In sympathy,
Arly Helm

[log in to unmask] (Arly Helm, LC)