From:
Pam Barnes-Palty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:47:24 -0500
Hello to my new breastfeeding friends.  I am new to LACTNET, having been on
for a week.   I am a certied childbirth educator and a LLL Leader.  Like many
of you, I also draw from personal experience as I have three children, all
who were breastfed.
I do not have specific information regarding celiac spru in infants and
children but there is a history of adult onset spru in my family and I will
share what I know about the disease.  Celiac spru is a malabsorption syndrome
of the small intestine.  After exposure to the offending foods the cells in
the small intestine change in function and become unable to transport
nutients across the cell membrane into the blood stream.  Clinically this
presents as weight loss, cramping, and diarrhea.  The only way to treat this
disease, which can be very serious, at least in adults, is strict diet
control.  Foods containing gluten must be eliminated for life.  This includes
all wheat products. Indivuduals will have personal lists of foods that are
troublesome, which may vary over time depending upon the health of the small
intestine.  This disease creates difficulties in maintaining a nutritious
diet and I believe creates a need for a higher calorie diet as less nutrients
may be absorbed.There are also practical and psychological issues involved
with a life-long highly restricted diet.
     How does this relate to breastfeeding?   In my case the MD considered
this to be similar to severe family history of food allergy and I was advised
to breastfeed as long as possible and to delay the introduction of wheat
products, eggs, diary, and citrus until after the first birthday.  This made
it very challenging to find allowable finger foods for the babies.  So far
none of my  children manifest symptoms of spru, although it is believed that
spru has a genetic component.  .I would also be very interested in learning
how the clinical picture and prognosis for infant or childhood spru differs
from the adult onset variety.  Fortunately spru is uncommon, but for our
family it has caused major life-style changes.
     I love the idea of a cream ribbon with gold edges!!  I think that that
color combination says it all.

Pam Barnes-Palty, M.Ed., ICCE, LLLL
Parker, Colorado