Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:48:00 EDT
Question here:  Sandra seems to say that the fat used in milk production
during lactation are the fat stores we have BEFORE we get pregnant.  Then
what happens to the fat stores we accumulate DURING pregnancy?  Are these not
used for lactation?

If we lose weight during the 6-12-18-24-36 months we breastfeed, are we
losing fat stores that we have before we got pregnant, or fat stores we
accumlated during pregnancy?

If we use those fat stores that we accumulated during pregnancy, then why
would the first child be more likely to have dioxins in the breastmilk than a
latter child?  Then why couldn't there be some control of diet during the
pregnancy to decrease the potential of accumulated dioxins?

I don't know -- I'm just asking.

If we don't need those fat stores that we accumulate during pregnancy, why
did Michelson find that women who gained less than 18 pounds during pregnancy
were more likely to have a low milk supply?

If we don't need them to support lactation -- then why are we blessed w/ them?

Inquiring minds want to know and LEARN!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com