Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:23:38 -0400
I am so frustrated at the moment!

I received a phone call on Wednesday from a mom who  wanted to do a bra fitting, but also wanted an SNS.

Here is the background. She is a DO--Family Practice. She had a homebirth!  Her baby is 2 weeks, but has been losing weight, so she decided to start supplementing a bit with formula. After talking on the phone about the nursing, I asked her if baby had been evaluated for tongue tie? She said she thought baby was tongue tie, and it was confirmed by an NP in her practice. This NP said that they do not clip tongue ties as it is not necessary until later if speech is effected. I was banging my head trying to remain calm. I told mom that it seemed to me the tongue tie was effecting baby's ability to nurse, hence the weight loss. Is there someone else to go to. I mentioned that our local military hospital refers to ENT for clippings--unfortunately, she is non-military.

When mom arrived at my office, she told me that the first ENT she spoke to said no to the clipping that it requires anesthesia and baby needs to be 6 months old(I am sure many of you see the irony here)....but he did refer her to another in the practice. This ENT told mom to come in the office the next day. Mom just called to update. The ENT wanted to be sure there were no other issues for the weight loss, such as metabolic. He does not want to clip the tongue if there is something else going on, because there will be a lot of blood, baby will be sore and might not want to eat for 24 hours. He told her to see her midwife for another weight check. If baby was gaining, come back tomorrow--Friday, and he will do the clipping.

I saw this baby. It was classic tongue tie. I am really worried about mom's milk supply with all these hoops she is being made to jump through. I even asked her if she was comfortable clipping it.

Regards,
Gloria Thai,
Yorktown, VA