From:
Marsha Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:57:12 -0400
Alla, The US Lactation Consultant Association (the US country affiliate of
ILCA), not ILCA, has a Licensure and Reimbursement Committee that is hard
at work regarding insurance coverage for lactation care and services. You
can see some of the work on the USLCA website. Frequent updates are
provided to USLCA members through the monthly electronic newsletter that
all members receive.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA
------------------------------------

Alla wrote: Yes, I definitely agree with you re: the value of the volunteer
mother-to-mother support.
No, I would adamantly disagree that we should surrender and relay only
on the volunteers (insurances will be dancing a happy-happy victory
dance here).

I think that ICLA/USA can create a task force that will have to do some
serious lobbying - the same as other medical professional organizations.
I am not saying that such fights are always ending in success, BUT - if
ICLA would not try, the fight is over.

Again, even we, physicians, do suffer a lot from the insurance piracy
and highway robbery, we did score some important victories - like
payments for vaccine administration codes (most of the times, not
always), reversal of drive-through deliveries and others.

And, again, we can not expect insurances to "just" /*understand*/ that
women need 2 hour visits...  But ICLA /*can (and should)*/ make its
voice heard.