From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 07:53:22 -0400
Dear all:

Just wanted to let you know that Valerie McClain informed me that Bruce Hollis' is a
patent holder for testing kits for vitamin D or the genetic engineering of vitamin D for use
as a supplement.

She also sent an article about one of the causes of hypercalcemia in babies which is
vitamin D toxiciy:
See http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/111/4/899

Vitamin D toxicity should be taken seriously.  The CDC did have to investigate many
cases in Boston from a small dairy that was overfortifying their cow's milk with D back in
the early 1990s.

Finally, since the AAP is not responding to the call to explain their relationship with the
formula industry --- and we constantly uncover financial connections --- in looking at the
bigger picture rather than individuals --- you have to look at how research is currently
funded in the United States.  As government funding for research dried up, the only
recourse was to seek funding elsewhere. This led to the public-private partnership.  I
think anyone on this list who lives in the United States and who who has problems with
the fact that so much research is now funded through industry in the United States should
write their politicians and continue to write their politicians for more governmental
funding for research.  If there is only funding through industry, then no one can do the
independent research to provide checks and balances to industry-funded research.

Researchers need food, shelter and health care services just like the rest of us and unless
they are independently wealthy, can't afford to conduct research out of the kindness of
their hearts.

Best regard, Susan Burger