From:
Susan Moxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 22:33:01 -0300
Hi Donna

Someone may have already responded to your question about the prem with
blood in stools and so called lactose intolerance to breastmilk.  When I
worked in the NICU we used to test for occult blood and reducing substances.
 Reducing substances are sugars which indicate there may have been some
damage to the bowel brush border that are involved in the production of
lactase which digests lactose.  When babies especially prems experience
asphyxia before, or during labour and delivery, blood is shunted from the
bowel to preserve vital organs and sometimes the brush border is damaged and
lactase is not produced in sufficient quantities and in extreme cases
necrotizing enterocolitis can occur if sufficient ischemia has occurred in
the bowel.  Hoever, with the history you describe one must wonder if it is
something in the mother's diet i.e. dairy products that is causing bowel
problems, if there is irritation to the bowel it could damage some of the
brush border etc.  I hope this is of some help.

Susan Moxley
IBCLC
Ottawa, Canada