From:
Elisa Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:31:45 -0500
Hello all!

 A client of mine is nursing her 12 d.o..  Breastfeeing is going very well,
however,this babe's first screening for PKU came back high (5.3 per the mom)
so a repeat blood level was done.  Today the results of the second level came
back  and it was 4.8.  The pediatrician said she has a conditioned called
phenlalanine anemia.  He is sending her back to the hospital Thursday to
check another blood sample for the qualitative number and then will decide
what to do with breastfeeding.

 This condition is new to me.  I could not find any info re:pheylalanine
anemia in my texts. Is anyone out there familiar with this condition??  If it
is at all possible I would like to be able to provide info for this mom and
her ped.  She doesn't want to wean unless it is necessary. Can anyone please
offer some assistance?

Thank you all very much in advance.

Elisa Hirsch, RN, IBCLC
Westlake Village, CA