Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:50:25 +0000
>I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is. These resourceful parents
>found a good use for the formula company diaper bag. What gives?
>
>Vaishali

But they are then a walking talking ad for the brand!

We are fortunate in the UK in that formula give aways and deals with
hospitals are illegal, but the manufacturers try very hard to make
contact with mothers in other ways, often succeeding.
They all have telephone 'carelines' (ack!) and massive databases of
names and addresses of pregnant and new mothers, whose names and
addresses they gather by ofering inducements to sign up at Baby Fairs
and so on.

They offer fripperies to HCPs, but I am glad to say that after *years
and years* of expressed disapproval from the 'good guys' among their
colleagues, I think the presence of pens, diary covers, post-it notes
and other tat is lessening.

I can be sure that if diaper bags were allowed here, the
manufacturers would fall over themselves to give them away.

They would absolutely adore them to be a container for a breastpump -
in fact, that is ideal, because research (somewhere - don;t ask!)
shows that mothers who start off breastfeeding and then switch to
formula because the breastfeeding is not a good experience for them
keep their babies on formula (as opposed to ordinary cows milk) for
longer. So getting your formula logo and brand name  underneath the
nose of a breastfeeding mother every day - well, that's first prize
iin the Marketing Golden Globes : (

And who wants to help these guys with their marketing, eh? : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK