From:
victoria sternberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:54:20 PDT
     Hi I'm a La Leche League leader in Katonah NY.
  The baby likes the bottle better than the breast. It's so much easier
to get milk from a bottle. I don't think it has much to do with soy
versus milk. This baby is probably nipple confused.
  Both my children(now 6 and 2+)  have had dairy sensitivity and thrush
as infants.  Both were extremely gassy and fussy until I realized the
problem and worked to fix it.  Dairy needs to be completely removed(even
the small amount in coffee or tea) for two weeks before all the symptoms
go away.  There are great substitutes at health food stores for moms and
dairy sensitive children. I'm also pretty sure that a high percentage of
babies who have dairy sensiitivity also have soy sensitivity.(Maybe
someones knows more precise infformation.)   There for for these babies
breast is best.  It can seem so difficult but once you do not have a
fussy baby the new way of eating can get much easier.(There is a good
article in the last Mothering on Cow's milk  and whether we need
it--remember some cultures never have it and are fine-- it really is a
different way of eating).  Often babies out grow this-- my daughter did,
my son did not.
    Thrush is a persistent and difficult problem because it can settle
in the babies intestines even if it has cleared in the mouth.  My
pediatrician and I finally conquered it in both my kids with acidopholus
and bifidus for both me and the infant and by reducing my sugar
intake(ie fruit, fruit juices candy etc).  Also we found that you need
to wash bras, pump supplies, pacifiers,  infant toys, bottles and
underwear in hot vinegar water.(I had forgotten my breast pads.)
Thrush(yeast) caused my kids and me alot if discomfort and they were
definitely happier after their treatments.

                             Hope this of some help.
                                   Victoria ([log in to unmask])
                                   La Leche League Leader in NY and
                                   mother of Robbie and Jessica