From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:08:00 -0400
Back when I was breastfeeding my children (29 and 23 years ago) I found
it very easy to be available to feed whenever they wanted to eat.  I find
that the women who are trying to juggle work and breastfeeding need to
have a better idea about some type of "schedule."  Of course I am not
really a scheduled person myself except out of necessity so it was very
natural for me to just take care of my baby's needs.  I was able to be at
home with my infants and meet their needs.  I felt that was necessary for
them and for me.  Were things so much differnet back then.  Maybe times
are different now and some people need guidelines. I honestly think it
was an easier time.  I did not work until they were older just worked
that way for me.  I really think so many people are looking for answers
other than "you feed the baby when the baby is hungry".  It's really too
bad because it really is such a snap shot in their life.  I try to
mention in my breastfeeding class that it is a committment and you do
have to surrender to motherhood.  It's not a bad thing, just part of
life.  Maybe it's not the right thing to be saying, but there is not a
"schedule" when you have a baby.  I also took the time to hold them and
play with them and rock them. When they woke up in the middle of the
night I brought them to bed with me.   They grow up so fast.  I'm glad I
was able to be there for them.   I only wish that could be true for all
mothers.  Do the mothers in this country really need to work when their
babies are so young or is it a choice they don't feel they have?  I
didn't feel the pressure of all these "rules" that some women are feeling
today.  Does anyone else agree with this?

Darlene Breed, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Worcester, MA (USA)