From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 23:18:45 EST
Mary Ann,

Hair loss after pregnancy is normal.  The hormones of pregnancy make less hair
fall out (the growing and resting phase is longer) and then when pregnancy is
over the hormones cause the hair to "catch up" and so you seem to be losing a
lot (it is just the hair that should have fallen out during the pregnancy and at
that point in time is all going at once.

The rate that it happens varies, some don't notice any less hair following out,
others (like me)  notice that none seems to be following and can no longer get a
rubber band around her hair.  So it is NOT due to breastfeeding (yes I am
shouting), my mother-in-law tried to tell me the same thing after my first
pregnancy but my mother and aunts all told about their post-pregnancy bald
spots, so it is normal.

Felicia Henry, AAHCC & LLLL