From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:40:59 -0500
A recent post stated that the Nipplette applies controlled suction to the NON
Pregnant, Non-Lactating nipple. Does this mean that there are no options for
the woman who is already pregnant (not yet lactating and able to use the
Evert-it?) Do women have to start this process before they even become
pregnant? As a previously COMPLETELY flat nipple owner (except in the frozen
food section) I found that judicious use of a breast shell for a minute or
two pre-nursing in the first week was all that was needed. Good management in
the first few days would prevent pathological engorgement ( I could have been
the photo in the inside cover of BF and Human Lactation - yes go look at your
copy now...- thanks to abyssmal hospital BF knowledge) and a bit of initial
expression and  baby do the rest. Second BF after next birth, nothing special
was done other to to get BF going well from birth and skip pathological
engorgement. This is different obviously from a truly inverted , not simply
flat, nipple.    Judy Fram, MEd., PT, LLLL, IBCLC Brooklyn, NY