From:
Maureen Fjeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 23:07:52 -0700
Dear Colleagues,
With the recent discussion on IBCLC -RLC and finding a way for reimbursement for the RLC I want to share some wonderful news.  I work in private practice in Alberta, Canada, providing education courses for health care professionals and private consults for mothers and babies. Here Registered Nurses can have private consults covered by third party insurance; the client pays the RN directly and then submits a copy of the invoice to their respective insurance company for reimbursement. In all cases the RN's provide their individual Alberta registration number on the invoice. I am not an RN so this has not been applicable; however, within the past two weeks I have had two individual insurance companies call to find out if I am an RN or a registered professional. In both situations I referred them to the IBLCE website for confirmation of my status as an RLC and the insurance companies have now both reimbursed the clients in full for my consultations. Having been in private practice for almost 16 years this has been significant  for me. I have written to the IBLCE Board to request consideration of providing IBCLC's with registration numbers to facilitate this process. I will be lobbying both federally and provincially to clarify this with all insurance companies. Any other Canadian RLC's willing to help, in the new year?
Season's Greetings,
Maureen Fjeld, PT/OT, IBCLC
Director, Calgary Breastfeeding Center