From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:19:44 +2
Seconding the comments from Jack and Pam.......

Moms from "breastfeeding cultures" do experience challenges with
breastfeeding, particularly where we are becoming more urbanised and
breaking away from extended family support.  A common problem
identified recently in focus group discussions with new moms is
"crying".  I wonder how much of this is a result of baby not taking
in enough breast tissue when feeding.

The "Gogo" (in many cases, this is the mom's mother-in-law) is quite
often the family member who makes decisions about baby's feeding.
Many moms report that the Gogo encourages early introduction of soft
porridge to address "crying", rather than checking on the way in
which the baby is feeding, or encouraging more frequent feeding.

IBFAN Africa emphasises the importance of Position and Attachment in
their greeting hug.  You go up to your colleague/friend with wide
open arms, left arm raised high and right arm low (Position), and
then clinch (Attachment) - your colleague is doing the same.  There's
a lot of emphasis on mom tucking baby in close to her body.

Regards, Lynn.
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa