From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 07:52:46 -0500
Dear all:

Rarely do I ever respond to a specific person on Lactnet. You may find a few examples in
the archives, but I do respond to trends.  When I comment on particular concerns they
are because I have questions and the dialogue helps me think deeper about the issues.
As usual, Jennifer Tow's post gave me a lot to think about and one day I hope she will
give not just one, but many talks here in Manhattan.

I specifically asked for articles to disprove my theory that lactose overload is overblown.
Hence my response to my particular concern, which is NOT a critique of any individual, it
is a critique of what I believe is an overblown and overused theory.

Ditto my caution on the literature of DHA.  This was not a specific critique of
appropriately balancing fatty acids, which is different than the rampant overuse of DHA
from pregnancy through the duration of breastfeeding, including unwarrented use of
formula to ensure the baby gets enough.

In neither of my comments did I point back to a specific post or a specific person because
it was not a critique of a specific post or a specific person.

I was trained in academia.  We never took critiques of theories as anything personal.  It
was a learning process. Lactnet would be useless to me if we were not free to discuss
theories, practices, and ideas freely.

I STILL do not believe that SYNDROME is appropriate.  SPECIFIC terms to describe
SPECIFIC situations makes for far better research.  The whole category of research on
SIDS is particularly tainted in this regard.  We do NOT have good data because of the use
of a term that merely describes an unexplained infant death.  Because of this, we have
ridiculous public health campaigns such as the one in New York City that state "Babies
should always sleep alone" when there is research to suggest that the least safe place for
a baby to sleep is in a separate room!

In fact, Marie's post and my post have some commonalities.  Were I looking for the
omnipotent view that everything was about me, I could have read many criticisms in
Jennifer Tow's post which critiqued some ideas included in my own post.  However, I
actually enjoyed her post because it gave me ideas to think about and challenged my own
assumptions.

When dialogue is censored, learning stops.

So, I will not apologize for my post, but I will say it was NOT directed at Marie and I will
make this clear again MY posts are not directed at individuals, they are directed at
examining ideas.

Best, Susan Burger