From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 15:30:02 -0900
I am sure that there are plenty of people "out there" who can put this
better than I, but this is one of my soapboxes and I'm in an ornery mood.
Although I would *dearly* love to see research studies separately
implicating all those interventions that we all know and love ;-\ (how do
you do sarcastic??), I don't think that it is possible. F'rinstance, we
may *suspect* that epidurals cause latch-on problems or disorganized
suck, but how is it possible to *isolate* epidurals as a factor when
epidural often leads to prolonged labor -> fetal distress -> (take your
pick) increased use of demerol with its side effects, vacuum delivery,
c/s, forceps delivery, neonatal anoxia, etc. etc. See what I'm saying?
The fallout from epidural is so varied and individual, and many in their
*own right* may be claimed to be the root of the problem, and not the
epidural! Does anyone see a way out of this catch-22? I agree with
everyone of you about research and how we need more and more, but how do
we keep up with all those #@+(*& interventions. On my bad days, I swear
that the OBs stay awake at night plotting against birthing women. And
don't tell me about their humanitarianism in wanting to spare us pain.
That's another story of brainwash of the century that's been pulled on
us. Growf! My daughter has learning disabilities because of the demerol
given me without informed consent. Off the soapbox, but haven't yet said it
all.....Judy K. in Israel