Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:45:46 EDT
i had a client who presented with almost the exact same history, plus thrush
from the repeated antibiotics. as soon as i went to see her i suspected that
her bra was too tight, and sure enough, when she took it off, the area of the
recurrent mastitis corresponded exactly to where the bra compressed her
breasts. she wore the bras twenty-four hours per day. her doctor was so
astounded that i had figured this out, but i assume that when the doctor
actually examined her, her bra was already off, and she didn't realize the
pattern.

i personally had mastitis several times with my first child, and i believe
part of the problem was my sleeping on my stomach, therefore sleeping on my
breasts too, at least as much as i could. another good reason to have a "back
to sleep" campaign, so that we don't grow up ruining out back and other body
parts sleeping in a poor position.

so nuala's mom may have some completely different story, but checking the
"mechanical "things is always important.

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation
www.breastfeedinghelp.com