From:
David Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 17:15:27 -0600
I just thought I'd share my own anecdotal evidence on cabbage.  When my
teenage son had all four of his wisdom teeth removed, we did an
experiment and put cabbage leaves on one jaw and the usual ice packs on
the other jaw.  The next morning the ice side had nicely swollen up and
was quite sore, but the cabbage side had not swollen at all and my son
said it didn't hurt like the other side.  The oral surgeon assured me
that both sides were equal as far as he had been concerned.  When my
older two children had their wisdom teeth removed years earlier, both
sides of each of their jaws had swollen equally despite the ice we had so
carefuly used.  Why doesn't the rest of the medical community investigate
the use of cabbage for swelling associated with other medical
procedures?  Maybe then we could find out just how or why it works and
use that instead of feeling like a vegetable?

Kris Rogers, RN, BSN, IBCLC