From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:07:34 +1000
Hi Carol,
I have a number of references here that suggest that forms of adoption are
quite common amongst some people groups in PNG and that historically BF by
the adoptive mother was employed but don't have the numbers for % . In PNG
now, since formula and artificial feeding paraphernalia are available only
on perscription- the Drs seem to routinely encourage the mother to attempt
breastfeeding (in fact I don't think that they are given much of a choice
in many cases). There are published papers on this (a couple Kramer P.
Breastfeeding of adopted infants. BMJ 1995, 311: 188-189.-letter and Nemba,
K. Induced lactation: a study of 37 non-puerperal mothers. J Trop Ped 1994,
40: 240-242.) I've also heard this from Drs who have worked in PNG. Tell
the mum she can BF- put her to bed with the baby- give her "magic milk" to
drink (she thinks it's magic anyway) and bobs your uncle- full BF baby.
They do also used some drugs. The knowledge that women have of BF practices
acquired by subconscious observation, is noted as being important. I think
they just see it all as normal- both adoption and BF and put the two
together- why not?

(Also have a ref that was looking at BF rates amongst Inuit indians in N
Canada and found that the main reason for not BF was that the child was
adopted (30% of children) Dufour, R. Allaitment maternel et adoption chez
les Inuit du Quebec artique. Canadian Journal of Public Health 1984
75:135-140.- so it appears that at least now in that part of the world
there is little adoptive BF although adoption is common, although I don't
know about the past)

Karleen