Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 23:03:56 -0500
Permission to post...

Mom of just turned one yr old recently (last couple of weeks) started a raw
food diet.  Mom has a history of a precarious milk supply and began working
with an LC when baby was 4 months old.  Mom was able to feed baby more
(waiting to hear back as to what changes where made) and baby was happy.
Baby has been diagnosed FTT and is just over 14 lbs, but maintaining some
growth (waiting on birth weight).  Mom says baby has been gaining better
since she started raw.  However, baby has begun fussing "hungry" fussing
again and is getting 2 oz per feeding (pre/ post feed weights) every two
hours.  Mom's main concern is that her milk is now "watery" as opposed to
"creamy" before she started the raw diet.  I have asked mom many questions
via e-mail and am awaiting a response, but can not figure out the watery
milk.  I have suggested mom look at her total calorie intake and she is
planning on adding in extra oil (coconut and possibly other EFA's) to her
diet.  My knowledge of nutrition in this area is limited however and I don't
know whether any nutritional deficiencies would cause issues w/ the milk so
soon.  Mom is also consuming appx 3 L of water daily.

Mom is rather distrustful of the medical community's knowledge of raw diets,
so I am trying to support her within that context, but she is open to
information.

I have exchanged a couple of lengthy e-mails with her, so if I have left out
relevant info please let me know.

Thank you!

Jessica Mattingly M.Ed., CCE, CBE, LLLL