From:
DBernhar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:05:56 EST
I think we are forgetting the cost-savings of our tax dollers for Emma to have a
healthy child.  Our tax dollars go not only to Emma's military education and
training, but also to Emma's and the baby's health care.  The military, and thus
taxpayers, pay for most of the health care for this family.  We write to
newspapers saying that if all women in America breastfed their babies for just
one month, taxpayers would save *$478 Million*.  With the significant amount of
women now in the military, if each one of them breastfed their children, we'd
save money too.  Not to mention the reduced risk of breast cancer for Emma.  We
could save tax dollars if due to Emma breastfeeding her baby, she never develops
breast cancer.

As a working and breastfeeding Mom, I know first-hand the difficulties
associated with successfully blending the two.  Emma's CO is most likely the
exception, not the rule, as far as supportive CO's go.  And, just because Emma's
CO is supportive, still doesn't mean that she didn't have to pump in the
bathroom, or that her mostly male coworkers didn't constantly harrass or put her
down for the special consideration she was receiving.  I've been in a situation
where I had flexible hours and a private place to pump.  Yet, a male coworker
saw fit to make my life miserable by harrassing me and complaining to other
coworkers that I had special circumstances because I was breastfeeding.  I had
the choice of finding another job, if I had wanted to.  Emma didn't have that
choice.  In fact, she had very few choices.  When a coworker is "mooing" outside
your office while you are pumping (as happened to me), all you want to do is run
away and never come back.  I chose to stay and educate.

Add to all this the female officer who breastfed for all of 6 weeks and then did
her "duty" to the Army by weaning to formula, Emma has all sides against her.
And all she's trying to do is provide the undisputed best for her baby.

I think it's time the military recognized the benefits of healthy babies due to
breastfeeding and bended a little.  Women have babies -- it's part of life.  I
don't think it was too unreasonable to ask for a leave of absence, with the
promise to return to fulfill her committment.  As taxpayers, we would have been
one of the beneficiaries.  Emma's daughter would have the best start in life for
her health, Emma would be healthier too, and we would still have received the
benefits of Emma's military education and training.

Dena Bernhard
Software Engineer
Member, Space Coast Breastfeeding Coalition
Melbourne, Fl.