From:
Alice Ernest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:05:21 EST
Dear Elizabeth,
     Several things come to mind while reading your post.  I just saw a baby
with similar symptoms that was tongue-tied--nursing all the time and just
getting the milk that was keeping him hydrated and not the fatty hindmilk.
Four doctors missed the tongue tie.  Baby's suck and swallow should be
evaluated and perhaps a test weigh.
     Also, Hirschsprung's disease comes to mind.   A referral to a good
pediatric colorectal surgeon or gastroenterologist might be in order.
Hirschsprung's is an absence of nerves in the rectum that causes problems
with constipation from birth.
      Keep us posted.

      Best wishes,
      Alice Ernest IBCLC
      Simpsonville, SC --where we got about an inch of snow today and expect
some ice tonight.