From:
MSulli1390 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:56:17 EST
Hi all -- I am a hospital based LC in southeast VA whose partner has posted
several times on the Net. Nows my chance, as I have lurked for a long time.  I
have a mom with a 2 wk old that is nursing beautifully. His weight is back to
birth wt, alert and a very eager nurser. She complains of an itchy/pins and
needles sensation in her left breast only, at about 10:00, which runs up her
neck. She has scratched to the point of bleeding on her breast, and scratched
the whole time I observed the feeding.  When he pauses, it stops, and pumping
does not bother her. (She states she has never had this happen before nursing)
She ends the feeding early on that breast as she states she can't tolerate the
feeling any longer than that. I  think it sounds like a nerve  is being
irritated, but am not sure she can do anything about it. I explained that she
could nurse only on the right breast, but she seemed concerned.

Any suggestions?

Margaret ICCE, IBCLC
getting washed and blown away here at the beach