From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 02:56:59 EST
This is certainly a big issue in the UK at present.  For the first time we have
the government admitting that in a number of deaths of people under the age of
42 of a 'new strain' of CJD (Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (sp?))  the MOST LIKELY
CAUSE was eating offal infected with BSE (bovine spongiform encephalitis).  Up
to now the government has stated there is no risk, as no link has yet been
proven.  I believe that it is true, and the government still states that the
link has still not been proven.  But the prime minister refused to state that
beef and beefburgers are safe for children!  I can remember assurances that it
was perfectly safe.   There is massive consumer concern, and some very emminent
researchers are sounding very concerned.  I understand that France and Belgium
have banned imports of British beef, and Germany had done so in the past, though
they ran into problems with European Community law over that.

Yes, Arly, I believe that bse is found in brain and spinal column only.  So in
theory regular parts of beef should be OK.  The government say milk is OK too.

How did this happen?  Feeding animals as cheaply as possible, on the remains of
scrapie infected sheep, I understand.  This has now been illegal for some years,
and infected cattle destroyed and farmers receiving compensation.  However,
there have been some reported cases of farmers knowingly sending infected cows
for slaughter.  One suggestion I have read over the last couple of days is to
slaughter the national herd, and start again from scratch.  This probably says
as much about the level of concern as anything.  Galling for beef farmers who
raise their cattle outdoors, and probably never fed anything dodgy.

MARY'S MORAL -don't mess with mother nature.

I can get more detail if anyone wants!

mary Broadfoot, Paisley Scotland