From:
Jean Macomber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 00:17:28 +0000
Baby may also have a microcleft in the soft palate that is not visible and needs to be checked by other means, such as a swallow study.
Jean Macomber, RN, IBCLC
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 11:30:24 -0600
From: Arie B-C <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Newborn choking at the end of a feed

Permission to post:

I am working with a 3rd time mom. She has not yet had a successful bf'ing
experience, despite support.
Baby is 4 days old, born @ 38 weeks by scheduled c-section. I've seen her
once, but the baby did not nurse during the visit (bad timing).
Baby shows signs of prematurity, is sleepy, has trouble maintaining temp,
etc. Plenty of wet & poopy diapers, bf'ing is going relatively smoothly.
Mom is wondering about: " baby randomly chokes while nursing. Not
necessarily during letdown, but more often towards the end of a feed." Her
other comments, in response to my questions, are:
-"Def not gagging. She doesn't spit up while it happens. She coughs, and
then makes high pitched squeakingnoises on and off for about 30 seconds"
-"She doesn't CRY afterwards, but yeah, she's gone pretty blue from it. The
squeaks are on inhale, so I'm guessing she's attempting to protect her
airway"

Thoughts, ideas??

--
Arie Brentnall-Compton
780.777.9525

Since it's at the end of the feed, maybe baby is falling asleep and chokes
on the bolus that's in her mouth. Carolyn Schindewolf, IBCLC