From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:09:07 +0100
>As I said I used it in a
BF welcome sign in our church and since it was painted in the 17th century
when i imagine books would not have been so common,  I wondered whether it
might actually be a picture of a mum BF her baby in Church- the book being
a Bible? <

My understanding is that the art of the Netherlands in the 17th century was
characterised by its secular nature.  The Netherlands of this time was the
great trading nation of the globe and there was a large bourgeiosie who had
comfortable incomes.  If you look at the art of the time, it often focuses
on domestic interiors, shows women at work (maids or housewives) or at
leisure, with lutes, books, etc.  so, the book might be a bible, or it might
represent a focus of this woman on issues other than the domestic -- anyone
a better historian of the period than I am?

If you want to learn a bit more in a painless fictional way, try 'Tulip
Fever' a recent novel by Deborah Moggach.  (And, yes, this book includes
birth and breastfeeding).

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK