From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:52:26 PST
Recently, Donna Hansen shared this website and said
Did everyone also check out the piece called "The Other Side of
Nursing"? Really, really negative on bf.
http://www.nwparent.com/scripts/northwest/paper/index.asp?ColumnID=35

Donna, I agree. I must say you will need your blood pressure med to read
this one. Here's my letter to them:

1-30-99
Today I read the article by Toby Berry entitled "The other side of
nursing."  It makes me so sad and so mad that women have to have
experiences like this. The article sounds like a woman who had a very
bad marriage trying to talk another woman out of ever marrying.
I must encourage these moms, who obviously mourn the loss of a positive
breastfeeding experience, to realize that their bad experiences almost
definitely were caused by poor hospital
practices, lousy information, and lack of appropriate support from
nurses, doctors and later, employers.
This paragraph is telling: "Many first-time expectant mothers dream of
their new babies emerging from the womb, snuggling comfortably against a
breast, and immediately beginning to suckle and coo. Unfortunately, this
image can be, and usually is, shattered in the delivery room..."

I hope these mothers do some homework before their next baby is born,
and find a knowledgeable OB and pediatrician, a "baby friendly" hospital
where breastfeeding is the norm and properly supported, and link up with
La Leche League and/or a board certified lactation consultant during
pregnancy.  These families deserve to be helped to fulfill their dreams
and their babies birthright.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Board certified lactation consultant and nursing mom