Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:18:09 -0500
Jan writes:
If bf is the norm, and bo fdg is abnormal, and brfd
> babies have higher bili levels than bo fdg infants (assuming no
pathology, and
> bf appropriate), then wouldn't it stand to reason that an increased bili
level
> is also NORMAL and not to be treated?  Especially with taking baby off
the
> breast and giving formula?

Good point. But the reason I'm in a "sweeping frenzy" over this is that
this "solution" is going to be reprinted a kazillion times and handed out
personally (we don't just get donuts and pens) by the ABM reps to thousands
of pediatricians and family docs as justification for supplementing with
formula - and "high-end" formula at that. And  it will be phrased that "the
AAP advocates this" [and in the last part of the sentence  "as one
theraputic option for jaundice associated with breastfeeding"].  When
infact the article illustrated that early jaundice is NOT higher in babies
that are breastfeeding well when comparing them to standard ABM babies.

The emperor again has no clothes, but this time he's riding an elephant as
well.  Great!
Still sweeping,
Gail
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC