From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:43:15 +1100
This is a bit off topic (though the paper I need it for certainly relates to braestfeeding) so please respond to me privately.

I'm looking for information (paper, book, internet site will do to get me going) that describes how if a baby misses/skips a process that is normally part of development that it may cause problems and may thus need to be repeated. I know I've heard that if a baby skips crawling that this can be problematic but then I've also heard that this is a myth. But then those who work with children with learning difficulties may have crawling activities etc in their program. Any ideas of where to look? I expect that this may be something that OTs or physios might know about.

FYI, the paper I am working on provides evidence that newborns expect to be kept in close physical contact and breastfeed frequently with the mothers. It suggests that for newly adopted children who have been institutionalised and without a primary caregiver that creating the opportunity to repeat missed experiences (ie close physical contact, skin to skin, cosleeping and breastfeeding or nurturing through food) is a model for appropriate care. Some would say that starting bottlefeeding or breastfeeding for eg with a 4 or 5 year old is developmentally inappropriate. I do not believe that this is so and if there is practice in other fields that is helpful in this argument I would like to use it.

Thanks everyone!

Karleen Gribble
Australia