From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 16:05:57 EDT
Kathy Eng wrote:
" We have one particular nurse at work in the newborn nursery who is always
 negative about breastfeeding. She has even said that breastfeeding isn't in
 her job description and she isn't going to help moms. She doesn't believe in
 nipple confusion, etc. (Every hospital has one like this!!)

 I would like some suggestions for things to say back to people like that, or
 what has worked with others in the past. Some sort of positive rebuttal or a
 way to stand up for myself without arguing when she is spewing mud."

This is the kind of situation which amazes me. Really. Am I the only person who thinks this nurse should be told exactly what is expected of her--full support of bf'ing grounded in solid education? She should be offered a very limited time to get up to speed, including offering training by an LC, and if she does not meet these criteria she will be fired. If breastfeeding is the foundation for all human health, it should not be acceptable for any nurse with these views to be employed in any position in which she might ever come into contact with mothers, babies, children or fathers.
    BTW, what is in her job description? I cannot believe that the description is worded in such a way as to allow for her interpretation. Perhaps, on a practical note, you could research this.
    Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA