From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:07:00 +0000
Hi
I have been off lactnet awhile. I have been involved with lactnet for many
many years on and off. I remember asking for lactnet help from my hospital
bed for a medication question when told I could not nurse my 14 month old
due to flagyl (I think), some 7 yrs or so ago when I had C. difficile. The
doctor asked "How long are you going to nurse that child anyway????" (She
nursed til 5 or more). I decided to re-sign up on lactnet, prior to taking
the 10 yr recert this july. I do not have time to officially study other
than journal reading and lactnet.

Well, you all will be very sorry to hear that at the hospital where I work
in New Orleans the initiation rate is in the low 40's percent, sometimes as
high as 49%. I have been tracking since October. Last few months it has been
about 42%. It declines to maybe 37% BY HOSPITAL DISCHARGE so that will tell
you how awful the practices are and the support for that many moms to stop
bf by day 1, 2, or 3. I will, this month, be doing f/u phone calls at the 6
mos mark, so I will get some idea of how long moms are bf and maybe find out
why they are weaning. Many moms indicate they want to bf for short periods
of time, like 6 wks or 2-3 months. Also most plan to do "breast and bottle"
/ the bane of my existence.
I work in the garden to keep my sanity.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA