From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:50:43 -0500
The Nipplette product was designed to evert *truly* inverted nipples. I
heard (don't know if it is accurate) that the product was initially designed
to serve the needs of women with inverted nipples who wanted their nipples
to show under clothing (a fashion plus?) and only later was the use
suggested as an aid to women who wanted to bf. One of my patients was going
to purchase the Nipplette before she became pregnant to try and bring out
her inverted nipples. Both of her sisters had been unable to bf (by her
report) because of nipple inversion. At that time there were several
postings here on Lactnet about this product.

I don't think the Nipplette was designed to evert "flat" nipples. It is a
device that applies constant pressure over a long period of time (a month or
more) allowing the tissue to stretch and grow. (This is how it was explained
to me, in any case.)

Am I correct that this other product -- the Evert It -- is for everting
"flat" (as opposed to inverted) nipples? And for use only postpartum?

Anyone with experience using these devices should post their cases here
(cases -- not marketing claims) or write up something for JHL. I'm
anticipating increased public interest in these devices since they are now
approved for sale in the USA -- and have been marketed elsewhere for several
years.

Personally, I have not had very good luck in my practice with shells. Of
course, this might be because the majority of women I see have been given
the shells after the baby is born. I have had better results with inverted
syringes, or with having the mom use a pump for a few minutes prior to
latch. Manual expression is sometimes effective, but I find many women are
very ginger and unaccustomed to handling their breasts. At least in my
practice, most women would rather defer to technology :-\

I have always been partial to the historical accounts of midwives of old
using whelps (puppies) or fawns to relieve engorgement. Personally, I'd love
to keep a basket of such bf aids in my office! (Do you suppose different
breeds were touted as better than another? The equivalent of pump wars!)

Margery Wilson, IBCLC