From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 07:24:03 -0500
 I forgot to say, scales are a tool, used judiciously can be a useful tool;
used ad lib, like shields, bottles, etc. can become a major bad influence.

Another thing, we are talking about apples and oranges here.  There is
"test weighing" before and after feeds and there is regular weighing,
periodically to monitor growth, also measure head circumference and length
at same time.  a  baby's current weight is just another factor to add in to
my mental factoring   of report of stools and voids, frequency of feeds,
length of feeds etc. in getting an overall pix of how things are going.

A new mom may not even know what a real void looks like.  Know this from a
personal tragedy in our family.  Mom thought baby was stooling and voiding.
 Voids were actually almost non existent- diapers were damp, but she didn't
know the difference.  Baby only had congenital problem with about 25 % of
total kidneys and eventually died.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ