Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:13:16 PST
> Are baby's with gastrocscesis truely unable to digest or absorb breastmilk because of
their impaired gut?

I have worked with two mothers whose babies were born with gastrocsecis (intestines outside
of the body cavity). In each case, the mothers pumped milk and it was fed to the babes
through a tube until they were able to go to breast. This is the first time I have heard of
babes with this condition having problems digesting human milk. Is there anything more than
anecdotal evidence out there? BTW, both these babies recovered very quickly, and the
doctors involved gave much of the credit to the protective properties of human milk.

Norma Ritter IBCLC LLLL
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel