From:
cian sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:51:37 -0400
Other ways in which breastfeeding is best for mom include:

1) Mom's risk of breast cancer is reduced when she chooses to
breastfeed.
2) Mom's risk of osteoporosis is reduced when she chooses to breastfeed.
3) Mom is more likely to lose those prepregnancy pounds faster when she
breastfeeds.

Susan, you make some really good points.  I wanted to add my - albeit
"stolen" - two cents.  Some weeks ago someone posted a link to an
article - i honestly can't remember who posted the link or who wrote
the article i'm about to refer to (if anyone does, please let me know.
i think it was a Lactnetter, too).  In the article the author made some
excellent points about how we word things.

She was saying that bf may indeed be best, but it's still normal.  and
that by contrast formula - which is currently accepted as the norm - is
less than normal.  So that when we re-word our benefits of
breastfeeding to the hazards of formula feeding, the benefits above
would read like this:

If you feed your baby formula:

1) mom's and baby girl's risk of breast cancer is *increased*
2) mom's risk of osteoporosis is increased
3) pregancy weight is more difficult to lose.

and the list goes on.  all that to say that after i read that article,
i realised how right she was (so sorry author, please chime in and take
your credit) and that if we put it like that - with bf being the
standard for NORMAL results, then other methods pose hazards.

what do you think of that???

warmest regards,
cian sawyer, CLC

p.s. i'd really like to have that article back.  can anyone tell me how
to find it, please?