From:
Henya KnitMammy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2010 01:45:22 -0400
Hello , I hope you will forgive this semi-rant. I am just extremely
frustrated. I had a baby at home a bit over a month ago. Now besides being a
Mommy and an aspiring LC I am also an avid knitter and belong to a wonderful
online community called Raverly. This was a difficult pregnancy, and I got a
lot of support from one of the groups there. So when we announced the birth
of my newest baby I felt comfortable mentioning that it was a home birth,
and yes it was a premeditated home birth.
A few people asked me for an account of my experience and I obliged. I was
totally unprepared for condemnation. Yet lots of people have been upset
about my "irresponsible choices".
Looking back at it it might not have been unexpected. But what totally blows
my mind is that people are not willing to believe that the rate of
C-Sections in the US is unnecessarily high, that the mortality rate is also
very high. That the doctor might not be always right and it is OK to ask
questions. That you do not necessarily have to have a baby in the room
loaded with life-saving equipment.
Why is this persistent blindness? In the convalescent home I went to after
having a baby about 80% of women had Sections. Most of them for failer to
progress. They were also told by the "kind" OB that nursing would be too
hard for them and too stressful for the postoperative body.
So after bashing my head against the wall and gnashing my teeth, my question
is how I can better educate this people. And is it worth it at all?

--
Henya
Brooklyn, NY

Want to know me better - visit my blog
http://chickenstitches.blogspot.com/

For unique patterns and stitch markers - visit my shop chickenstitches.com

Visit my Etsy shop - chickenstitches.etsy.com

Find me on Ravelry as knitmammy http://www.ravelry.com/people/knitmammy