Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 01:13:35 EDT
Hello all!

I have been rather busy working on several things here in Hollister, CA such
a possible "breastfeeding clinic".  This and the fact that I still have long
distance for my internet is the reason why I have not kept in touch, so
forgive me!  And good things are happening!  Now for my question.

I have a 19 year old mom whose baby was born on 9-27-00.  I was called
because baby not gaining weigh and possible low supply.  When I did an
assesment the mother's breasts reminded me of one of the pictures in Clinical
Lactation p. 59, Plate 88.  There is  very little information that I can
gather on breast hypoplasia.  Do any of you have any experience in this area?
 What would you try?  At the moment mother is pumping every 2-3 hours and
getting 0.5 oz at a pumping.  She started Fenugreek last night.  Did not
breastfeed last 24 hours because of extreme pain.  Today did offer baby left
breast (larger) breast, baby suckled w/o pain for 10 mnts.  She is
supplementing with formula until her supply increases.

Mother is a single mom and her mother is paying me in payments so that she
can afford the consultation (they live in a nice home).  Grandmother nursed
her (the mother) for two years, but also things she knows a lot so it is hard
to get in a word.  I have been talking primarily with the mother of the baby,
but she really depends on her mother for support.  How much time do you think
the mother should continue to try and/or how do you rule out breast asymmetry
which also has a possibility of low supply?  My suggestion has also been to
nurse baby at breast with SNS so that mom can feel the bonding she really
wants with breastfeeding.  Any other ideas and or words of encouragement for
the mother?

When responding, please do so with the subject being "HYPOPLASIA" since I do
need a quick response.  Thank you.

Yvonne Bannister
Baby's BestFeeding
Hollister, CA