Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:35:39 -0400
This is for all you researchers out there,

I want to go back and figure out the breastfeeding rates for the hospital
were I am working as the outpatient lactation consultant so that we can see
if there has been any increase in breastfeeding rates since we 1) started
teaching prenatal classes (last september) and 2) started the comprehensive
program with phone followup and consultations ( May 1998). I was planning
to dig up old nursery books and do it by hand.   So my questions are 1) Do
I count the breastfeeders on day one or on discharge day?  What are the
Ross stats based on?  i'd like to be comparing apples to apples when I try
and convince the powers that be we are way behind the national average and
need to do more prenatal outreach.  2) how long should i look at for each
period,  is one month enough?  3) How long should I wait to get stats for
the program we have just started - 6 months? one year?4) what do I do with
the ones that are mix feeding from the beginning?  Are they included?  Any
other ideas?  It's been a long time since stats class in college.

Thanks again to all who responded about the traumatized baby.  I'll let you
know how it turns out.  I'll be calling mom later today.

Lori Werrell, BA, IBCLC
Leonardtown MD