Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:54:43 -0500
Hello Margo,

> As a military wife, I have to speak up on this point.  Whilst this
> may be true, I have to say that if it weren't for TriCare, we'd be
> in the poor house.  All four of our children have had significant
> medical needs - starting with an airlife to a larger hospital NICU
> & full life support for our first.  All three of our older children
> have had at least two surgeries, baby is about to have what will
> hopefully be her only childhood surgery next month.  One of my
> children is on a medication that would cost $197/month if we paid
> for it.  We pay a $3 copay for it.  I got very sensitive, excellent
> car when I went in for check ups during the 4 years that I suffered
> from severe (post partum) depression.  We have found the doctors
> that see our children for well-checks to be very supportive of our
> choices regarding long-term breastfeeding, no vaccines, homeopathic
> remedies before taking the traditional Rx.  This system set up for
> the active duty male has served my family well and it SO affordable
> premium-wise.

I agree with the help Tricare can bring.  I also have four children,
but I opt out into the civilian sector when I can.  My son has
required eye surgeries since birth --a total of 5 in the past 16
years, and definitely Tricare saved us with this.  However, we have
had our battles with his very care at times.  And I will tell you,
your experiences are not the norm--we come from the same background--
including homebirthing--and the majority(not all) of military clinics
and staff are not supportive of these choices.  Only recently in
Aviano, I had my battles again with my daughter and vaccinations.
More recently, I had to see my civilian doctor in Hawai'i when we
went home last summer for a visit to resolve my medical problems that
were being ignored at my local clinic.  I will stop here as I know,
this is going way out of the realm of Lactnet.

Kind Regards,
Gloria Thai, Va USA